Monday, April 1, 2013

Family Medicine Activist: 30 Posts in 30 Days HAWMC 2013

HAWMC 2012 slider 2 resized 600


Hi Folks.  I'm participating in the HAWMC 2013, committing to 30 posts in 30 days.  This is my 3rd time to participate.  Yes, I was posting in Nov 2011 and April 2012, which are still available if you look at those months in my Dr Synonymous Archives.

I am a Health Activist for Family Medicine.  As a Family Physician, I worry about patients and my fellow Family Physicians.  We're in a convoluted health care non-system that is bankrupting America.  No end is in sight.  Superficial recommendations for healthcare reform have been initiated.  So far, though, it looks as if there are more training and new jobs in the IRS responding to the Affordable Care Act than training for new Family Physicians or other Primary Care Physicians.  There is a huge shortage of front line physicians.

What will happen?  I don't know.  But I have ideas and I listen to others and read a lot.  I have a vast array of health care experience since graduating from the Ohio State University College of Medicine in 1976.  I'm in private practice with another physician and a part-time family nurse practitioner since 1999 in Beavercreek, Ohio.  Before that, I started four Family Practice offices from scratch and upgraded three other practices (two campus health centers and one University Family Practice Center).

After 175,000 patient encounters, I have some insights about health and health care.  Patients still need interaction with a personal, Family Physician to have the best health path.  The Medical Industrial Complex is too costly to face it alone.

My training and practice sites have included small town, rural, urban, private, community hospitals, university hospitals, and suburban.  I've been on the faculty of three medical schools, medical director at a holistic training school and directed a physician assistant training program.  I've taught medical students, residents, fellows, nurse practitioners, physician assistants and others.  I've been on many commissions, committees and boards and served as President of the Ohio Academy of Family Physicians.  I'm trained in Reiki, Neurolinguistic Programming, Non-Directive Imaging, chair massage, aromatherapy, reflexology, sound attunement therapy and others.  Currently, I'm on a community board that's developing a free clinic.

Before the health care training, I graduated from West Point in 1968 and served as an Army officer in the Corps of Engineers with Airborne, Army Ranger training and rotary wing aviator school before serving in Vietnam in the Aviation Section of the 45th Engineer Group.  I flew Hueys and Kiowas in Vietnam and at Ft Riley, KS before going civilian and starting OSU COM.

So now, I'm a social media enthusiast and health activist.  I'm questing for more insight about the human condition as it applies to Family Medicine and life.  I blog and have a Blog Talk Radio show as Dr Synonymous.  On Twitter, I'm @apjonas.  On LinkedIn, I'm A. Patrick Jonas.  I also use Facebook for personal and family purposes and have a FB site for The Center for Innovation in Family and Community Health which exists to Strengthen the Healing Community and to promote the Human Centered Health Home.  It is launching Direct Ohio Care- a subscription medical practice network for Ohio.

Now that you know part of my background, I will share my perspectives as a Family Medicine Activist on HAWMC 2013 and ask for opinions about most of my blog posts.  I look forward to reading the posts of other activists and discussing many of them on my Dr Synonymous Show.

Peace to all of you.  Onward

1 comment: