Sunday, August 16, 2020

50th Anniversary Vietnam Service Post 3

  I followed orders and flew to Cam Ranh Bay, reporting to the 18th Engineer Brigade, which sent me to their aviation unit.  I was instructed to meet with someone the next day to get my specific assignment.  In the mean time, they had a cookout and a volleyball game which was a pleasant way to meet some other pilots who flew for the Engineers.  

The next morning, I got the word from a captain in their aviation unit that my assigned unit would be the 45th Engineer Group headquarters, which had an aviation section.  The captain pointed on the map of Vietnam to the location of the Group in Phu Bai (which I was later told meant the "land of the dead ").  "What are those red pins on the map?" I asked.  "Oh, that's where the 45th Engineer Group Aviation Section had been taking fire from the enemy."  I already noticed that there were no such pins in the area around Cam Ranh Bay.  My assignment might be more "engaging" in I Corps where I was headed.  The area of operations of the 45th Engineer Group was I Corps which was the northernmost area of military operations in South Vietnam, extending north to the Demilitarized Zone - DMZ (there was a II, III, and a IV Corps).  

I flew from Cam Ranh Bay to Phu Bai that day and reported to Headquarters of the 45th Engineer Group.  Personnel assigned me to the Aviation section and a hooch - Vietnam War slang for a thatched hut or improvised living space- my plywood home for the next several months.


Our Aviation section shortly after my arrival in Phu Bai: Cpt Sherk, Cpt Holland, Cpt. Jonas, Lt Marsh, CW2 Leo Childress, ?, SSG Cooper (L to R standing) Sitting Sp4 L. Kawai, ?, Sp4 Washington, ?, ?, Sp4 M. Metro. 2nd row includes Sgt. Jones, Sp4 Steele, May, (Sorry I don't remember everyont)


Some facts about the 45th Engineer Group:

45th Engineer Group (Construction)

Arrived Vietnam: 8 June 1966
Departed Vietnam: 30 January 1972
Previous Station: Fort Bragg
Authorized Strength
HHC
1966 - 98
1968 - 111
1970 - 111

The 45th Engineer Group was under the 18th Engineer Brigade throughout its service in Vietnam, planning a coordinating the activities of its assigned and attached units. These consisted of construction or other units engaged in the field construction, rehabilitation, or maintenance of facilities in support of the U.S. Army or Air Force operations. The group arrived at Cam Rahn Bay and moved to Dong Ba Thin on 15 July 1966. It relocated to Tuy Hoa on 15 October 1966, moving to Qui Nhon that December. It moved north to the Phu Bai area in February 1968, where it assumed general construction support missions for the I Corps Tactical Zone. The group then remained in the Da Nang area until departing Vietnam. The following engineer battalions served the group one time or another;

14th Engineer Battalion       39th Engineer Battalion
19th Engineer Battalion       84th Engineer Battalion
20th Engineer Battalion      299th Engineer Battalion
27th Engineer Battalion      577th Engineer Battalion
35th Engineer Battalion      589th Engineer Battalion
More later

No comments:

Post a Comment