Sunday, February 26, 2012

Blog Milestone and Reflection at 25,000 Views

OK, I'll congratulate myself a bit in this post.  My Dr. Synonymous blog has reached 25,000 views.  Thank you, readers.  I have to look back on the blog and reflect a bit.  Why did I blog?  What did I write about?  What did people look at?  What generated reader response?  What mattered?

Personally, I'm pleased to have the opportunity to write, which I enjoy.  I'm on the back (screened in but not heated) porch writing now, watching our dog run around and explore the yard and the critters, including the tractor that just went through the field just to the west of us, beyond the treeline.  The birds at the feeder are twelve or so feet in front of me, pecking at the suet and cracking the sunflower seeds.  Finches, cardinals (Ohio's state bird), chickadees, tit mouses, woodpeckers, blue jays, grackles, and others show up from time to time which reminds me of life and nature.  The air is pure outside (if you don't mind the prolonged mold and early pollen levels which actually are good for business in Family Medicine- I tell many patients, as I've written in this blog, "Mucous is the state bird in Ohio"- of course you know it isn't since I noted above that it's the cardinal.) and I love the tones from the chime set six feet to the right of me that rings in the light and chilly breeze today.

Overall, the writings relate to Family Medicine and issues related thereto.  Patients are the most important aspect of the whys and wherefores of Family Medicine, so I comment a lot about patient situations and physician responses.  The history of Family Medicine gets several posts as does the ongoing training of Family Physicians.  I reveal some aspects about physician thinking, diagnosing and treating and comment often about how patients may connect to the physician process of working and caring.

The situation of healthcare bankrupting America shamelessly gets attention in the Dr. Synonymous blog along with lamentations about the gradual disappearance of Family Medicine for financial considerations, even when the major lifeline for the entire health care system seems to be Family Medicine (says the Family Physician, humbly).  Some posts note how we might learn a lot from others such as Dr. Marcus Welby and Dog the Bounty Hunter, while others reflect on the "Founders of Family Medicine".  The Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) gets a few words for being a good idea while the Human Centered Health Home (HCHH) gets numerous posts as an upgrade to the PCMH.

The Medical Industrial Complex is not favored in my writings, since I see it as so misaligned with the needs of the citizenry.  Yet, I'm part of it.  The paradox hasn't received enough of my writing in this blog, yet.

Several posts refer to days of the week to give a glimpse of what may be happening in a Family Physician's office in a particular time frame, such as Friday morning or Monday morning or Saturday morning in Family Medicine.  Specific processes such as House calls, end of life care, relationship to nurses and nurse practitioners are singled out for the readers.  Special people such as unit secretaries in hospitals, hospice nurses, patients and families also get extra focus.  My most viewed post at present "Corporatizing Hospice- More Heart Needed" laments an over-emphasis on corporate thinking to the detriment of patient care.  Many echo a plea to save Family Medicine because it is needed as a Medical Specialty that helps people and saves money.

As a Vietnam Veteran and graduate of West Point, several of the posts are my thoughts about those experiences relating to the military, war, West Point and the West Point Alumni Glee Club (one of my current top 5 most viewed posts).  Patriotic themes float through my comments about The Wall (Vietnam Veterans Memorial), Memorial Day, Independence Day (also one of my top five most viewed posts).  The anniversary of my going to and returning from Vietnam seem to get posts as does the anniversary of the "Peace" in Vietnam.  Those 20 members of the West Point class of 1968 who died in the struggle in Vietnam are constant reminders about war and peace, life and death, and truth and lies.

Human relationships and human processes seem to be at the heart of my posts.  As a Family Physician for over thirty years, I've been impressed by the human spirit.   I've tried to write about it.  I will continue

Thanks to the people who've helped with my learning about how to blog and how to write and especially to those who read my posts.  Your views and your comments have kept me sensitive to the needs of readers and patients and Family Physicians.  More reflections at 50,000 views.  Peace. apj

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That is a big milestone. I always enjoy reading your thoughts about patients and the healthcare system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Dr S!

    I was right there with you on your porch ..enjoying your backyard and the critters and the wind chime. I have a lot of wind chimes ...and appreciate their different sounds. hard to believe spring is almost here since we didn't have much of a winter.

    Your posts are informative and interesting. I will have to look up your Vietnam posts. My husband is a Vietnam vet, but n-e-v-e-r talks about it. I wish I knew him when he was there because I would've sent him so many cards and letters. :)

    I appreciate your thoughtful writing and am glad you've joined the medblogasphere.

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete